(It's the "just got home and cleaning out my mailbox" rash of posts!)
1. Never give me work in the morning. Always wait until 4:00 and then bring it to me. The challenge of a deadline is refreshing.
2. If it's really a rush job, run in and interrupt me every 10 minutes to inquire how it's going. That helps. Or even better, hover behind me, advising me at every keystroke.
3. Always leave without telling anyone where you're going. It gives me a chance to be creative when someone asks where you are.
4. If my arms are full of papers, boxes, books, or supplies, don't open the door for me. I need to learn how to function as a paraplegic and opening doors with no arms is good training in case I should ever be injured and lose all use of my limbs.
5. If you give me more than one job to do, don't tell me which is priority. I am psychic.
Essential vocabulary additions for the workplace (and elsewhere)
1. BLAMESTORMING : Sitting around in a group, discussing why a Deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.
2. SEAGULL MANAGER : A manager, who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
3. AS/SMOSIS : The process by which some people seem to absorb success and advancement by kissing up to the boss rather than working hard.
4. SALMON DAY : The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get scre/wed and die in the end.
5. CUBE FARM : An office filled with cubicles
I'm back from California. I wish there had been more sun when we were there but what can you do. The city was colorful and different from other major cities I've been in. The streets were wild in the Castro (referring to the crazy hills, not the people; the people all seemed very people-ish).
It was wonderful to finally meet everyone. I'm still gathering links to photos from the trip so expect a post with links later. The offices are impressive! The Serrano had some quirky spaces but was a really nice hotel.
I'm definitely going to have to go back to SF and visit my local friends and see more of the area. :)
Tomorrow morning (I'm waking up before 0h Dark Thirty), I'm heading to California to meet my co-workers at SixApart. Flying is not my most favorite thing to do. A 6+ hour flight? Ew. But hopefully the visit will make up for all of that airplane time.
I might try to see Statia if I have any free time (more likely I'll try to get her to visit me because I won't have any way to get around).
Anyway, see some of you soon. :)
Update: I upgraded to Economy Plus for $50! More comfy sleeping for me.
I got this error when installing and testing a different blogging package for a friend. I did get an error but it was just amusing. (We're not going to use it after all so I'm off to figure out how to make the layout that my friend wants to use with :MT:.)